Good Morning Friends!
I once read this quote by Publilius Syrus, “Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.” Leadership is tested when facing a storm and some leaders can rise to meet the occasion.
During this crisis, we’ve witnessed leaders at all levels lead with courage, confidence, and compassion. Without question, the people who are handling this crisis effectively exhibit three distinctive leadership qualities:
- Empathy: The ability to feel with someone else
- Decisiveness: The ability to survey the situation, make quick “hard” decisions and adjust as necessary
- Informative: The commitment to being transparent and readily sharing data, information, and insights
Though all important attributes, as we head into the weekend, I want you to particularly think about the importance that empathy plays right now and how you can strengthen your empathy.
Here are a few ideas to get you started…
[Video] Empathy is a Choice
Did you know empathy is a choice? In this quick video, Brené Brown explains that we can choose to form genuine empathic connections with others, but only when we are brave enough to really get in touch with our self. Click here to watch!
A Non-Negotiable Leadership Skill
“There is a significant business cost when leaders lack empathy.”
Check out this article (click here) to learn why empathy is a must for effective leaders and ways to actively strengthen your empathy muscle.
Room to Improve
92: Percent of CEOs who say their organization is empathetic, despite the fact that only 72% of employees say they work for an empathetic employer, down 6% from previous years (source).
“Empathy is about finding echoes of another person in yourself.” – Mohsin Hamid
Perhaps in this moment of time we will find echoes of another person in our self, more than we ever have before. How can we use this as a way to build deeper, more meaningful relationships?
I hope to see you at some of these upcoming trainings!
- May 4: The Growth Imperative, click here to register
- June 10: Inspired Leadership Series, click here to register
- June 17-18: Leadership Challenge Workshop, click here for more and to register
- November 19: ON Leadership Conference, Save the Date!